Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bill Clinton in Utah: "I liked that man who holded me"


On November 4, 2007 former President Bill Clinton came to Utah to serve as a surrogate for his wife Hillary at several fundraisers. Thanks to the benevolence of former Utah Democratic Chairman Donald Dunn, I was able to attend that event with my three year old son Samuel.

When Sami and I arrived at the event there was already a long line of excited Democrats waiting to meet a man who I believe is one of the greatest United States Presidents to serve our nation during my lifetime. I can already imagine some of the comments that my last statement will provoke, but honesty is the best policy, and I have no reservations in revealing that this Utah Democrat loves and admires former president Bill Clinton.

Several local press agencies have already reported on President Clinton's uncanny ability to connect with his audience, and how his message of hope was nothing less than inspirational to the 1500 plus Utah Democrats who were in attendance that day.

But this isn't the story of the majority who were in attendance that day. This is the story of my three year old son, Samuel Amicus Miller, and the words he used to describe our former president, William Jefferson Clinton.

If you visit this blog on a consistent basis you may have already viewed the photo of former governor Calvin L. Rampton pulling a young Rob Miller in a wagon. I didn't realize it at the time, but that photo has become a personal treasure.

Cal was a great inspiration to me and I never imagined, especially now that he is gone, how much that image would mean later in my adult life.

When President Clinton allowed the above photo to be taken one might imagine how thrilled I was, but it was what Sami said after the event that helped me better understand what a special person Bill Clinton really is.

After the event as we walked to the car I said, I'm sorry Sami that we were there so long, did you have fun?"

His immediate reply was, "I liked that man who holded me."

"How come?", I asked.

"Because he was nice."

I then asked, "How did it feel?"

"Like he was Santa!" was Sami's reply.

Later that night Sami told his mother a secret about his experience with President Clinton which wasn't unlike an experience I had when I was a child with Governor Rampton. I was going to share what Sami said to his mother, but in retrospect, I think I'll keep that private.

I want to thank Donald Dunn for allowing Sami and me the opportunity to meet President Clinton. I also need to thank President Clinton for taking a few moments from his busy schedule to help create a memory that Sami can reflect on and treasure throughout his life.

Photo by DNC Committee Woman Helen Langan

3 comments:

Jason The said...

This is a great post, Rob.

Some of the best political stories are those where the process that at times seems hectic and endlessly chaotic becomes, for at least one person, personal and inspirational.

And I like to believe that true leadership is inspiring, even to (or maybe especially to) a child, and that those children become our future leaders.

Thanks for sharing this.

Bob said...

You should make sure the picture and the post (including the parts you took out) get passed along to President Clinton. I know you have the connections.

See you next week.

-Bob

Anonymous said...

Awww. Good story. Bill would make a good Santa Claus, not sure about Hillary though. Ha!


...just kidding.