Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Note from LaVarr Webb

"I have absolutely no business interests in the voucher issue. The state corporate filing is apparently old and inactive. I am not a director of any voucher organization or even part of any informal strategy group, and have had nothing to do with the voucher campaign. I am doing no lobbying with any voucher group or being paid in any way and have not done so for years. Years ago I did some very limited work for Parents for Choice in Education, but I have had no organizational or financial tie with the group for several years."

So there it is, LaVarr states he has no involvement with PCE. Earlier in this post I mentioned that "Harrie was wrong, but more importantly, so was I", but maybe I spoke too soon.

Because of Mr. Harrie's recent comment I must state that Mr. Harrie may actually be correct with his research. LaVarr may not be involved with PCE at this point of time, but it does seem that he has had both a position with PCE, as well as a pretty good paycheck. I must also state that earlier today I apologized to LaVarr, but now I am apologizing to Mr. Harrie.

I want to thank you for both for your clarification.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha!

You suck Miller!

Dan Harrie said...

Standing by it.

In response to LavArr's comments:

All he says is likely true. Nevertheless, here are some facts -- verifiable by anyone who chooses to.

The state Commerce Department lists Webb as a director of Parents for Choice in Education Inc., in its current, active filing.

His Exoro Group received $7,000 from Parents for Choice in the 2004 election cycle. Yes, that was "years ago" but not that many years. And he published paid advertorials from Parents for Choice in your UtahPolicy.com.

Like I said, none of this is bad. It's all very fine and more power to him. But the connection should be disclosed in hisr column. Simple and helpful to readers of the column, like me.

JM Bell said...

I'm backing Dan on this, too, Rob. This isn't the first time that LaVarr has done this, and it wont be the last, and Webb's whole "They haven't paid me anything this week," kind of attitude is just silly making.