Thursday, October 12, 2006

Michael Lee for District 32



Michael Lee grew up and attended public schools on the West Side of Salt Lake County, where he graduated from Cyprus High School. Michael met Nicole, the love of his life, while working at the University of Utah and married her a short time later. Together Nicole and Michael have raised their children Shaily and Jesse in their West Valley City home. Michael is currently a Deputy Sheriff with the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office assigned to investigations.

Why Run For Office?

I have chosen to run for the Utah State House of Representatives because I am passionate about contributing to the community that has given me and my family so much. I have so much to offer concerning the issues facing our community. My experiences as a law enforcement officer have seasoned me to the needs and the values of my community and my state. I will vigorously represent the citizens and my community of District 32 with the tenacious tone that they need to get beneficial things accomplished.

  • I am a proud father and husband. I am an active citizen and good neighbor. I am a police officer.
  • I have assisted in the coaching of my sons little league baseball team and my daughters Jr. Jazz basketball team.
  • I love our community and value our heritage.
  • I attended the University of Utah and University of Phoenix.
  • I am a certified instructor through Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T) which allows me to train and instruct other Law enforcement officer in the State of Utah.
  • I was a founding member of the first AFL-CIO union in the Sheriffs office. I also served on the board of the newly founded Deputy Sheriffs Federation a part of the National Coalition of Public Safety Officers (NCPSO) the public safety branch of Communication Workers of America (CWA)

When I am elected I will strive to improve the communication within the community to listen to the concerns and the needs of the citizens and implement viable solutions to our problems.

There are several issues plaguing our community one of which is the obvious lack of money reaching the students and teachers. I will work proactively with teachers and administrators to find the best possible way to get these well needed dollars into the classrooms.

Obviously with a background in Public Safety I will fight aggressively to assure that the citizens of our communities are safe and get the services that they deserve. I will also stand up for those who protect us everyday in that fight to keep our community safe.

I feel that Utahans should have the opportunity to provide for themselves and their families. One way I will help is to fight to raise the minimum wage of Utah workers.

Public Education

Utah is last in the nation when it comes to funding per student and is almost $2000.00 behind the next state. The current lawmakers chose to give only a 6% increase when there was a billion dollar surplus.

Utah students continue to excel despite underpaid teachers, inadequate supplies, outdated technology and overcrowded classrooms.

I will strive to help our sons and daughters get what they deserve by pushing lawmakers to put Utah students first. I will fight to increasing spending in key areas of public education to include technology, supplies, and teacher salaries.

Raise the Minimum Wage in Utah

It has been almost 9 years since Utah has seen a change in the minimum wage. Utah’s current rate is $5.15 hour which is $10,700.00 a year and is 67 % below the Federal poverty level for a family of three. Current Utah Lawmakers are out of touch with the concerns of Utah citizens that overwhelmingly support an increase in Utah’s minimum wage according to recent state wide poles.

Raising the minimum wage helps low income families provide from themselves and decreases the dependency on the State and Federal basic need programs.

When I am elected I will fight for Utah’s working families by supporting legislation that raises the minimum wage to $7.00 hour.

Public Safety

I have served Salt Lake County’s West side Community for five years as a Salt Lake County Deputy Sheriff. I believe protecting people’s rights and ensuring our family’s have a safe place to live, work, and raise our families are essential.

I am committed to protecting the community as a law enforcement official and I will continue protecting our community as the next State Representative for District 32. I will accomplish my goals by supporting legislation that works to prevent crime and makes criminals pay for the crimes they have committed. I will also support alternatives to incarceration for non-violent criminals and will support programs designed to help drug offenders with treatment for their addictions. I will continue working with State and local officials to keep our streets safe from crime and illegal activity.


Open Accountable Government

I believe the PEOPLE’S work should be done in PUBLIC! This means that all legislative meetings and hearings should be open to the public. I also think all E-mail communication paid for by the public should be public record.

Government should be transparent in its dealings and open for any one wishing to listen, watch, or participate in the legislative process. Every Utah citizen should have the opportunity to do so. Legislators are elected to represent the citizens of their districts and should be open, accessible, and easily observed by those citizens to assure proper, responsible representation.

No comments: