Monday, September 11, 2006

Images of fear: The aftermath of 9-11


The days after September 11, 2001 were difficult. The economy was already suffering before 9-11, but as I mentioned earlier, the senior citizen residence that I was rebuilding economically was doing quite well. Almost immediately seniors stopped moving in, and not just at my community, this was happening all over Utah.

There were other problems in Utah post 9-11. The 2002 Winter Olympics were coming and for many this fact became a frightening reality. Would terrorist attack our home? I remember one moment while hiking along the foothills of Grandeur Peak just above 3300 South, where I stopped and took a moment to look over the Salt Lake Valley. To my horror I saw in my mind eye a flash, and then a mushroom cloud. My peaceful walk had just become the victim of terrorism. Although I was sure this would not happen, I could understand why so many people seemed to fear the upcoming Olympics.

The Fall of 2001 disappeared into Winter of 2002, and their was all sorts of talk of a possible terrorist attack. The Olympic opening ceremony was scheduled to begin on February 8, 2002. It also happened to be Abby's first birthday. The day before I had attended the opening ceremony rehearsal, and once again was reminded of the potential threat of terrorist due to the awesome number of security personnel, and gates that were put in place to insure our safety.

The rehearsal went off without a glitch, and that's when I started to understand that something very special was about to take place.

No comments: