Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Jim Matheson's Birthday

This post should have started out with a photo of my friend Shane Giddings, his son, and Congressman Jim Matheson.

I was then going to critic the food with photos and brag about how much I enjoyed the wrapped asparagus, the fresh fruit, and the pasta salad. I also had a wonderful photo of the Jim's birthday cake.

I had great photos of Roz McGee and Peter Corroon. Photos of retiring Senator Patrice Arent who came visiting with her father, and of Leslie Reberg speaking to Norma Matheson. I had some great shots of Jim speaking too.

But of all the photos I shot that day there was one special photo, one I wanted to send to Jim. This photo captured and explained who Jim Matheson really is. After Jim was done speaking his son Will motioned for his father to bend down. As he did Will's arms wrapped around his father's neck and Jim put his arms around Will. It was really quite touching and I cannot believe that I may have lost it forever.

Today when I went to Pace's Dairy Ann I had my camera, when I left I did not. I quickly returned and searched everywhere including the garbage but found nothing.

I can always buy another camera (well someday maybe), but how can I ever replace that priceless photo of Jim and Will Matheson? I know that I cannot.

The party was a great success and I very much enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I ran into an old Olympus High swimmer, and reporter turned lawyer, Mark Quinn. Mark was on the Olympus High Thunderbolt as was Shane, as was I. Mark mentioned how he had interviewed Governor Scott Matheson to Norma Matheson. She smiled and then mentioned that our generation was propbably the last that will really remember the governor, but I do see the governor in Jim. I see the very best of him in Jim.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound whiney Miller, but its okay. Thanks for introducing me to blogs. You have ruined my life!

Happy Birthday Congressman!

Rob said...

Thanks Ethan.

Your doomed Marlor!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,
sometimes we depend too much on photos to keep images in our lives...you took a picture with your heart, and there it stays forever...
Sheryl

Anonymous said...

I see it Rob.