Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Lunch with Art

Earlier in the morning I agreed to have lunch with Arthur (Art) L. Douglas, president of the Farmers Union. Reaching for my phone did me no good; my battery had died so I went looking for Art. When I was almost ready to give looking, I turned around and there he was. He was talking to Suzanne R. Rees (R), County Commissioner for Box Elder County.

Talking with Suzanne was of great benefit. She has a good understanding of rural issues. She very much reminded me of my late grandmother Helen Romney (who was at one time the Vice Chair of the State Republican Party). I once asked my grandmother why she was able to pass partisan lines. She explained that she never discounted anyone's thoughts, "I understand your viewpoint, I just happen to disagree." This was how my conversation was with Suzanne. Open, honest, real, and friendly.

Just as we were finishing lunch Candace Daly, secretary of the Utah Republican Party walked up to our table. We were inroduced, but until she announed her position I was sure that she was an old neighbor. I asked Candace, "how do know you?" When the light came back on I was a bit embarrassed, but she did not know me either. Candace won her second term at convention by the highest margin of all the candidates, and I can see why. She has a fun personality. She really should be a Democrat.

After lunch Art and I walked back to the House and Senate lobby were we ran into another officer of the Republican Party. Mr...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget that our very own State Party Secretary Xavier Hermosillo also won by the largest margin ever recorded! He is cute, and a gentleman, and this old gal will vote for him again. It was nice to see the two of you in Washington County a few months back. Keep up the good work you two.

Rob said...

Candace should be a Democrat. I thank God Xavier already is.

Xavier and I will be visting Southern Utah again very soon.

Please say hello to my buddy Colt Smith.