Tuesday, April 18, 2006



Dr. Kim Christison ~ Candidate, House District 68

Fifty-four years ago I was standing in the kitchen with my dad listening to the election night returns of the presidential race between Senator Adali Stevenson and General Dwight D. Eisenhower. I was four years old. The memory is vivid. There stood dad, six-feet two, decked out in his Highway Patrol uniform, shiny boots, shiny badge—he must be General Eisenhower I thought. The little red plastic Truetone radio would crackle and sputter and I was trying to make sense of what all those distant voices were saying. It must be important because dad had a look of worry on his face. It had something to do with Democrats and Republicans and his side was loosing. Yes, I could actually pronounce their names but had no idea who they were or what they meant. Man to man, looking dad straight in the eye I asked, "What's the difference between a Democrat and a Republican?" Dad's answer was quick and unequivocal: "Under Republicans," he said, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Under the Democrats, everybody has a chance. Now son, I've got to get to work." A simple distinction and dead on target. If asked today what's the difference between a Democrat and a Republican I would say as certainly as did my dad, "Under Republicans, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Under the Democrats, everybody has a chance. Now, I've got to get to work."

To read the rest of Kim's story, and to visit his well thought out website click here!

Dr. Kim Christison
Theatre Arts Department
Snow College
Ephraim, Utah 84627
kimch@snow.edu
(435) 283-7480

No comments: