Friday, November 30, 2007

Farewell, Good Senator

I woke up today, knowing it was going to be a little bit rough. It is never easy to say goodbye to a friend or loved one, but it is especially difficult to bid farewell to one whose life is cut short by illness or tragedy -- and even harder to say goodbye to someone who had so much life left to live and so much service left to give. As I was getting ready to go to Senator Eddie Mayne's funeral, all I could think about was how he would leave a terrible void, not only in the Utah Senate, but also in Utah.

But now that the funeral services have come and gone, I am at peace.

I didn't know Senator Mayne as well a some. I didn't have the pleasure of working with him in the Utah Senate, or working with the things that were important to him. But I did watch him from afar, and I admired him for his hard work and dedication to the things he believed in. Whether or not you agree with his politics, it cannot be denied that what Ed cared about the most was to see the average person do better. He wanted to elevate all of Utah's citizens, and he worked hard to try to make the American dream become a reality for all of Utah's families. That is why I admired Ed the most. I remember on more than one ocassion hear him say that he would support a bill because it would "help Utah families." I think that had to be the litmus test that he used when judging legislation... if it lifted Utah families somehow, then it would be worth supporting.

Ed was a big guy - both in stature and in personality. I must admit that the first time I met him when I was running for the Utah Senate last year, I was a little bit intimidated by him. And so, when I heard last spring that he was diagnosed with lung cancer, I was certain he would inimidate the nasty thing right into remission. Eddie Mayne was larger than life. In the last year I got to know him a little bit better, and was impressed that he always knew my name, always encouraged me to *please* run for public office again, and even invited me to sit with the Senators on the senate floor during session, telling me that I belonged there. As I came to know him better, intimidation was replaced with admiration and a whole lot of respect.

Me and Senator Eddie Mayne, June 2007

During today' services, we had the pleasure to hear from many of Ed's friends, and from his family. The beginning remarks were delivered by Governor Jon Huntsman, who talked about Ed's dedication to equality for all Utah families, Ed's commitment to public education, and Ed's love for all of Utah's citizens. He reminded us that Ed wanted to see every family in the state be more successful, and that "He will be remembered for bringing hope and healing to every corner of this state."

We heard from Salt Lake County Councilman Randy Horiuchi, from Ed's dear friend Blaze Wharton, from Ed's Bishop and Karen's Pastor. But the most touching remarks came from Ed's children, who saw a more private side of their father, and they shared wonderful stories about their dad and his quirks and his strengths and his love for them.

The music was superb. There was not a dry eye in the room during Kevin Flynn's touching sax rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." The auditorium at the Cultural Celebration Center was filled to capacity, with standing room only. And those in attendance, including honored guests such as Governor Huntsman, Senate President John Valentine, Senator Orrin Hatch, First lady Norma Matheson and her sons, Congressman Jim and Scott and wife Robin... over 1000 of us were there to celebrate the life of a man who gave so much to all who came in contact with him.

At the close of his remarks about his father, Paul Mayne told us that every prayer delivered by Eddie included the words "Bless the unemployed that they find work. Bless the homeless that they find shelter. And bless the children."

I think those words sum up Ed Mayne better than anything I could ever say about him. And as his daughter, Jamie, so eloquently reminded us today, it is not enough to just talk about Ed's fabulous legacy of service. The best way we can honor our dear friend is to continue fighting for the things he believed in... helping the unemployed find work.. helping the homeless to find shelter.... Fair wages, better pay for public servants, an excellent education for all of Utah' children.

Ed, I wish I could have had the opportunity to know you better. I especially wish I could have served in the senate with you. To make up for that, I'm going to work a little harder, be a little bit less selfish, and continue to fight for the things that were important to you. I owe it to you. We all do.

Farewell, good Senator. Rest in peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Emily. You truly captured the spirit of Ed's farewell.

Anonymous said...

I hope all elected officials take a moment to think what their eulogy would be if their time on Earth was cut short. It makes me want to try a little harder, make sure I'm working for others and not myself. Senator Mayne is still an inspiration to do what is right and best for Utah families.

Anonymous said...

Among all of the well deserved tributes to Senator Mayne, the Daily Herald was conspicuously absent save for a small notice in the obituary section. Whether it was because Senator Mayne was a Democrat or because he represented labor unions that the Herald chose to ignore his many contributions to the state, I don't know. I do know that it showed a complete lack of respect to Senator Mayne and his legacy that demonstrates once again how partisan the editorial staff of the Daily Herald has become.

Anonymous said...

Saxguy,

The Southern Utah / St George Spectrum also has not carried any coverage of Senator Mayne's passing, but I doubt it has anything to do with politics and more about the fact that nobody down here knows who he is.

It's a sad commentary on civic service today, that citizens don't know the legislature, don't want to know the legislature, and don't know who the players are. Many people will talk about national politicians, but nobody knows what goes on at the state capitol.

I kind of think that we should be more worried about what is happening at the state capitol.