Friday, January 19, 2007

Orrin Hatch: "Just say NO!" to ethics reform


I wonder which reform issue(s) Orrin had a problem with?
  • Bar lawmakers from accepting gifts and travel and lodging paid for by lobbyists.
  • Extend from one to two years the time a former member must wait before he can engage in lobbying activities.
  • Deny pensions to lawmakers convicted of serious crimes.
  • Require more reporting by lobbyists on their activities.
  • Require public disclosure of those home-state projects.
  • Require senators hitching rides on private jets to pay full charter rates rather than the current practice of paying the far cheaper equivalent of a first class ticket.
  • Require reporting by lobbyists who obtain small donations from clients and then "bundle" them into larger contributions to politicians.
  • Prevent spouses of sitting members from lobbying the Senate.
Read KSL's Senate passes Democrat's Ethics Bill.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orrin is a embarrassment to Utah!

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons that Orrin Hatch didn't like the ethics bill, as reported in the media, is that it would make all politicians look like criminals. I guess they might be right, for if one is guilty, they all are guilty, or so the system assumes.
Ironically, I spent 5 years in the Utah State Prison for a crime that I did not commit. I may yet be punished by legislation, which will be initiated by Orrin Hatch. 99% of humanity assumes me guilty, as that is what the written record supposes. I am assumed 100% guilty because I was sent to prison and am labeled a convicted felon. I was 100% guilty even though I was really 100% innocent...welcome to my world Mr. Hatch.

Anonymous said...

Blah, blah, blah...

He didn't like it because he has been instutionalized.

Wow, 1 of 2 to vote no.

We must have the smartest Senator in the USA.

That's why Orrin should be president.

NOT!