Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My Press Conference Speech and Experience


Yesterday I held a press conference on the steps of the Davis County Memorial Courthouse in Farmington.

The speech below is from the better second draft that I used (the 1st rough draft was given to Joe Dougherty from the Deseret News). This was the draft I followed, except for when I adl-libbed some vague comments here and there ( which was probably a mistake, and became a great lesson on the value of staying on message).

There was another lesson learned from this experience; don't hold a press conference outside of the court house. The trucks driving by seem to be louder than jet engines.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I want everyone who came to know how grateful I am to them for taking the time to attend.

My speech:

Thank you all for being here today, for your friendship and your support.

I especially want to thank my wife Michelle, and our children Abby, Anna, and Sami for allowing me this opportunity to stand up for my dream of building a brighter future for all the families of Davis County.

I started this journey many years ago when I decided to leave my executive marketing position in Park City, Utah to become the caretaker of a senior retirement community.

The birth of our first daughter Abigail was the catalyst for this new desire to serve others, and in many ways is the primary reason why I am standing here in front of you today as the Democratic Candidate for Davis County Commission, Seat-A.

During my great adventure as the administrator of that senior community, I came to the realization that something was terribly wrong in our country. In less than a four month period I lost six of my residents due to the fact that they could no longer afford their medications.

Five of those senior friends were forced out of the home they loved by this economic reality to live in an inferior situation.

One resident, a loving mother and grandmother, made the decision to end her life as to not burden her children with the high cost of her medication needs.

I wondered how we as American could allow the American Dream to be stolen from a good and hardworking middle class generation of seniors without batting an eye.

There were other problems as well.

As a boy I spent many Saturday’s at the Utah State Capitol. My father worked for then governor Calvin L. Rampton as his press secretary and due to my father'’s commitment to public service he would very often give up his private time in service of our beloved three term Utah Democrat governor.

This upbringing had its advantages as I would often run into Governor Rampton at the Capitol, as well as many other great Democratic Utah leaders like Congressmen Wayne Owens and Gunn McKay, and former governor Scott M. Matheson.

I remember a day where I walking down the Capitol stairs and ran into "The Guv"” who asked me, "“how is my favorite junior Democrat?"

“"What i’s a Democrat?"” I asked.

"You better go ask your father", was his reply.

Later that day I did ask my father, "What is a Democrat?"”

One should understand that my father was not a religious person, and that he always touted his belief in the separation of church and state, a belief I still agree with today, even as an active disciple of the LDS church and yet surprisingly his answer to my question came right out of the old and new testaments.

He told me the story of Cain and Able and explained to me why it is so important that we are each other'’s keeper.

He then found a bible, and after searching for what seemed to be an eternity read to me these two scriptures,
"34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."
This was my introduction to the Democratic Party by my father, and it is still how I understand my place in the world as a Democrat today.

In early 2005 I was asked by my friend and Zion Bank vice president, Shane Giddings to run for Party office after discussing with him my vision of the direction the Utah Democratic Party should take

After three months of campaigning against four other qualified Democrats, I was elected vice chair of the Utah Democratic Party at state convention.

This wonderful position has allowed me the opportunity to remind people all over the state of our past Democratic leaders like Cal Rampton, Scott Matheson, Gunn McKay, and Wayne Owens, leaders who have served Utahns so well.

What is amazing to me is how many of my Republican friends cannot and will not take anything away from these past leaders, and the great service these leaders have provided to the good citizen's of Utah.

Let me also remind the fine citizenÂ’s of Davis County about the good works of two current Democratic elected officials, Congressman Jim Matheson and Salt Lake County Mayor, Peter Corroon.

Congressman Matheson continues to pull in the highest approval ratings from our Utah Congressional delegation putting his constituents first, and Mayor Corroon has proven you can champion good public policy and still stay popular.

And there are many other Democrats serving as legislators, and in many positions throughout our great state that are fine examples of Democratic optimism, and leadership.

You see, it is my belief that Democrats do their best when they are inspired by optimism. How many examples do we have throughout our nation'’s history of that Democratic optimism taking hold of our generations, and then leading us out of darker times into the light?

It is in this spirit of optimism that I have thrown my hat into the ring to offer myself to the families of Davis County to serve as your next county commissioner.

Although I have high regard for my opponent, I can easily say that the best candidate for County Commission, Seat A is a Democrat.

My Platform:

1. NO NEW TAXES.
I will not be a Democrat with a program for every problem looking for taxpayer funds. Did you know that Republicans are responsible for every increase in state taxes during the past 30 years and local taxes for more than 50 years?

They make a "no new taxes" pledge all the time and break it. Knowing that it is irresponsible, this is a pledge that Democrats never make fearing an unforeseen emergency. We prefer to be honest about our actions, not just our intent. Democrats have paid the price with political defeat.
It is a pledge that this Democrat will make and will keep. If there is an emergency that requires a tax hike, there are two other commissioners that will have to do it. Maybe even with my public support, but never my vote. I know that Democrats have not been trusted by Davis County voters on tax issues. I will earn your trust and, hopefully, when campaigning for my second term I will not need to make this fiscally irresponsible promise. But for this term: Read my lips, no new taxes. It is a promise you can trust.

2. Responsible Economic Development:
Customers -- not competitors. Economic development is important to the future of our community. I will bring my best efforts to this endeavor. Unfortunately, economic development has been done poorly by some officials in this area. I want to support Davis County by recruiting business that will be the customers of our current businesses – not become their competitors.

One question that continues to be asked is how I feel about the Conference center expansion. Although I have reservations about how this all came about, the fact is the expansion is going to happen and the better question would be, how are we going to take the conference center and insure that it is the economic engine that it should be?

Luckily we have some great planner’s and leaders in Davis County Like Wilf Sommerkorn, Kent Sulser, and Barbara Riddle, CEO of the Davis Area Conventions and visitors bureau. These leaders have a true a true vision for Davis County economic development, and it is my plan to work closely with them to ensure that Davis County becomes a county leader in economic development.

3. Together, We Can Do Better.
When I was a kid my parents and grandparents trusted their neighbors to help raise us kids to be responsible members of the community. Now, too many parents feel they have to protect their children from the community. I want to help restore our trust in one another to build stronger communities in Davis County.

I am concerned and dedicated to making a change in how we deal with the epidemic of drug addiction. Just yesterday Sheriff Bud Cox stated that our current system isn'’t working. As your commissioner I will fight to change what I call the revolving door of incarceration. We need a system that solves the problem, and that brings are lost children home.

4. I'll be a watchdog
-- Not a junkyard dog. If elected, I would be the only Democrat to hold office in county government in 12 years. Just by being there and being a member of another political party, I can help keep honest people honest. I will be a watchdog for the taxpayers of Davis County. I know that someone in that role can go too far. I promise that I won't be a scandal monger. I won't be a junkyard dog that barks at everything. Working as a bi-partisan pragmatist will give Davis County government the diversity that and true representation her citizens deserve.

5. Rebuilding a two Party System with Respect and Dignity.
It is a fact that companies who hire diverse people are more successful. I'’m not a Democrat who wants to rule the world. I believe that two strong Parties are necessary for success.

My Grandmother Helen Romney, former vice chair of the Utah Republican Party, was loved by members of both parties. Later in her life I asked her why this was so. She said, "Robby, when I speak to people who I might not agree with I say, I understand your position, I disagree, but I respect you. How can we work together?"”

Respect and statesmanship is disappearing, but it doesn't have too. Being a "“Cal Rampton" Democrat,” I decided that it was time to take a more active role in politics; to take the Party I love, and to make sure that it is the Party it should be. If you want to truly understand what I mean than take a closer look at the Democratic candidates we have recruited this year. It has been a team effort that I'’m Proud to be a part of, and I see it as the return of local politics to the people. It is my way of being my brother’s (and sisters) keeper. This is what I understand as my calling.

There are many other issues I have even touched on.

Farmington has an erosion issue that needs to be addressed immediately.

Centerville wants a performing arts center, and North Salt Lake'’s new mayor has a great idea on how to provide her residents with secondary water.

Clinton'’s citizens need and deserve a strong commissioner who can be the catalyst in solving their ever increasing transportation problems on 1800 North.

West Bountiful and South Weber need someone who understands their economic development needs, and every city in Davis is concerned that there is a strong leader in the commission that will listen to their concerns as we upgrade and increase transportation opportunities for everyone in Davis County.

Before I finish I would like to address my Republican friends and neighbors.

I appreciate the fact that you believe in my abilities. Almost everyday I have a conversation that goes like this. "I'’m going to vote for you Rob, but I can'’t support you openly."” When I ask why that is I hear comments like, I'’m afraid it might hurt my business", or "it could hurt my standing in the Republican Party...". I have even had several Republican friends explain to me that I espouse Republican values better than most Republicans. My answer to that statement is this: The values that I embrace are not just Republican or Democratic values; they are Utah Values, taught to me by my Utah family, who just happen to be both Republicans and Democrats.

Because I believe we should live our lives in the spirit of optimism, not the spirit of fear, which is what is ruling many in the Republican Party, Salt Lake City Councilman, and Davis County businessman, Eric Jergensen and former Republican Rep. David Irvine will chair Republicans for Miller, to allow those whose would vote for the most qualified person the opportunity to stand up and vote their conscience, and to allow an avenue to help them break the bonds of fear.

While I was working with my senior residents I had the great privilege to care for President James E. Faust'’s older brother Augustus, who we all lovingly called Gus. One of the last things he said to me before he died was to be myself.

I was told yesterday that Davis County citizens will refuse anyone, even the best candidate unless that person will run as a Republican. My answer to that is this; to force someone to be something other then who they are does not send the message that all people have value.

Governor Brian Schweitzer from Montana has told us that issues divide us, and values unite us. I happen to know that our greatest value is when we value each other.

Let'’s stand united for better opportunities for our posterity! My name is Rob Miller, I am running for Davis County Commission Seat A as a Democrat!

I will be a uniter, not a divider, I carry the true spirit of public service, and I am asking that you allow me to be your dedicated public servant.

Thank you

For more on yesterday's press conference see Jeremy's Jeremiad by clicking here.

No comments: