Sunday, September 10, 2006

Davis County Fair, 2006: Then and Now


The Miller family loves the Davis County Fair!

The Fair is the place where Abby and I took our first Ferris Wheel ride together. It was also the place where I first met Davis County Democratic Chair, Richard Watson, who gave Abby a Davis County Democrats water bottle (Anna was just a baby, Sami was just a beautiful dream) after making sure that we were indeed Democrats.

Later that day I noticed some people putting Jon Huntsman Jr. stickers on Richard's Democratic water bottles. Not being one to take this lying down, I went over to the hat embroidery vendor and had them create my very first LDS DEMOCRAT hat. I then (to my wife's chagrin) quietly waited at the Davis County Republican booth for my first victim. Within minutes a young man walked up and said, "I got one!" As the back of the Huntsman sticker came off, I tapped the young man's shoulder and asked him if his mother knew that he was a lair? He quickly replied, "I'm not a lair!", and I said, "you sure as hell are, the guy at the Democratic booth asked you if you were a Democrat before he gave you that water bottle didn't he? So you're either a lair or a thief". I recovered several bottles that day, and since then I have been very bold with my Democratic opinion.

The next year I was asked by a lady if I would purchase some raffle tickets for the 4-H. She explained that sales had not been very good so I took what money I had in my pocket and bought some tickets. A few days later I found out that I was the winner of a homemade quilt, and a Wrangler bag. A few weeks later I received a call from a woman who explained that my lamb was ready to pick up. "A lamb? What am I going to do with a lamb?" I asked. "You're supposed to eat it" she said, and then explained that I had won a butchered lamb, not a live one. Not a bad deal for $14 bucks.

Every year our family looks forward to going to the fair. This year was even more special due to the fact that I met so many new friends. I especially enjoyed Saturday evening when Michelle brought the kids over and we spent some quality time petting farm animal, riding rides, and just being together as a family.

Overall the Davis County Fair was a real treat, but , Abby and Anna want those in charge to know that they were not pleased that they didn't get to ride a real horse this year, and that both of their goldfish died just days after coming home. After all, as Anna said, fish are people too!

Here's to the Davis County Fair which has been Highly Recommended by the Miller family , and The Utah Amicus.

Enjoy the photos.


What a great entrance!

Marilyn, Cooter, and Rob man the Davis County Democrats Booth

Can I milk him?

When asked "what do members of the Red Hat Society do?", one reply was, "Whatever the hell we want!", and another was, "nothing."

The petting zoo was great!

"Can we take him home daddy?" The answer is yes, but not in the way they are thinking.

Ready, set....

and HOLD ON!

Anna's the leader!

Retirement must be grand!

I don't remember our family goat being this nice

Officer Mike from D.A.R.E enjoys being in control of,

the "Greatest Show" at the fair!

That dog in the car talked to me

Only the Democrats attracted more kids than the D.A.R.E Dog

The truth is my family actually does hug trees

Bret Millburn (my opponent) with the Miller kids

I told you Millburn would buy us cotton candy

The Clipper Staff was there!

As was the biggest baby in Davis County (can you believe he is only three months old?)

Anna was the only one brave enough to ride with Daddy

Rep. Julie Fisher and husband Scott with friends

They danced, they smiled, and they killed flies, all while teaching others how to scrapbook

Snakes, compliments from The Living Planet Aquarium

I not sure what it is, but something about her smile scares me

There used to be a Ferris Wheel right over there!

Anna and Abby show off our new family members, Sami sits back quietly packing his pistol compliments of Curt Oda

The End!
(until next year!)

No comments: