Thursday, September 21, 2006

Davis County Clipper: Even Republicans back Miller for commission


Rob Miller talked about his love of service and the importance of taking care of all people at a recent Rotary meeting.

Tom Busselberg 21.SEP.06

FARMINGTON — Bountiful attorney and former Republican legislator David Irvine is backing Democrat Rob Miller for the County Commission Seat A race. Irvine served from 1973 to 1979 in the House of Representatives. He is being joined by another Republican, Bountiful businessman and Salt Lake City council member Eric Jorgenson, in co-chairing the “Republicans for Miller” group.

That information was released during a press conference by candidate Miller Tuesday afternoon, on the steps of the Memorial Courthouse, here.

“My dream is to build a brighter future for Davis County,” said the Bountiful businessman, his wife Michelle and three young daughters nearby.

“When I was a senior care center administrator I saw something terribly wrong. I lost six of my residents. Five of them could no longer afford to stay there, and one took her own life,” due to escalating health care costs, he said.

“How could we allow that to happen, to have the American dream stolen from this good, hard-working generation of seniors?” Miller asked.

“The food is awful at the senior activity centers,” he said of the noontime meals. “If we’re not doing some of the best we can for them,” there’s something wrong, he continued.

Although it puts Miller in a precarious position, he emphasized his campaign pledge of “no new taxes.”

“I gave my word I would not vote for new taxes, and I will not vote for a tax increase because I gave my word,” Miller said.

Since making that statement, he has learned of needs for senior citizens and flood control measures that perhaps require a tax increase, he said. “If I gave my word, I have to keep it. If there is an emergency (requiring a tax hike), the other two (commissioners) can vote for it.”

Miller also said he will work for responsible economic development, sees himself as a “unifier” where people can work together, and wants to rebuild the two-party political system in the county.

“I was asked in 2005 to run for party office and was elected vice chair of the Utah Democratic Party,” Miller said. His father was press secretary to former Gov. Calvin Rampton, a Bountiful native.

But his grandmother was the secretary of the Utah Republican Party.

He said commission meetings should be held in the evening, to make them more accessible to the public; supported Conference Center expansion, but said the positive economic impact vs. cost should be closely monitored; said he would be the “county commissioner who listens” to needs of constituents.

Miller will work to rebuild a two-party system, comparing it to companies hiring more diverse people generally being more successful.

“I’m not a Democrat who wants to rule the world. I believe two strong parties are necessary for success,” he said.

“I will be a watchdog for the taxpayers of Davis County. I know that someone in that role can go too far. I promise that I won’t be a scandal monger. I won’t be a junkyard dog that barks at everything. Working as a bi-partisan pragmatist will give Davis County government the diversity and true representation her citizens deserve,” Miller added

tbusselberg@davisclipper.com

1 comment:

Natalie Gordon said...

Rob, while you're hanging with Eric J., ask him to FREE THE NSL 80!

Thanks.