Monday, August 14, 2006

My Office Wall


One evening my father Michael T. Miller came home from work and handed this card to my mother Judy and asked her to put it in a safe place. The Apollo 11 Astronauts signed several of these cards for Governor Calvin L. Rampton, who then gave this card to my father who was at the time Governor Rampton's press secretary.

My mother decided that the safest place for this card was in my baby book where it was kept safely until a few years ago when I decided that it needed to be preserved and displayed. I have had this reminder of what mankind can accomplish for as long as I can remember, and on those days when I feel beaten, I look at this card and think, "what if they had given up?"

I don't know if it will happen in my lifetime, but hopefully my children will see the day when the first human being sets foot on Mars. What a day that will when our planet stands together with a common and courageous goal to fly into the future as we put aside our hostilities and divisive attitudes and break through to a new era with the understanding that it is better to go to Mars than to go to war.

I guess thats a pretty big dream from just a little white card signed by three men in black ink.

No comments: