Saturday, March 18, 2006


Dinner with George McGovern

In 1972 Senator George McGovern was selected as the Democratic Party nominee for president. On Wednesday March 15, 2006 KCPW welcomed Senator George McGovern to the Salt Lake City Library Auditorium to promote his new book, Social Security and the Golden Age. Afterwards he would also inspire two State Democratic officers.

I arrived just in time to be introduced to the senator by my friend, Remington Johnson. Remington was the representative from the Hinckley Institute who would have the honor of introducing the senator to a group of adoring visitors. When Remington introduced me to Senator McGovern his first question was, "how is my friend Cal Rampton?" I explained that Cal was 93 years old and doing well. McGovern then expressed that he would enjoy speaking to our former Democratic governor so I promised to arrange it.

During his presentation the senator spoke on 9-11, Iraq, public service, and social security. A most touching moment occurred while he explained how he had lost his daughter to the disease of alcoholism. It was at this point that I noticed that Wayne Holland had arrived.

Afterwards the senator signed copies of his book and allowed for some photo opportunities. While doing so he asked me if I would call his friend Cal. I handed him my phone and watched the senator smile as he both spoke to his friend while continuing to sign books. When he was finished he explained, "Cal says he is only 92."

After the crowd disperessed we went to the Little America to have dinner with the Senator and KCPW Interim Station Manager Chris Eisenberg. Wayne, Chris, and I sat at the table listening to the senator without any consideration of the time. Most interesting was his story of how he was sent in 1955 to reorganize and revitalize the South Dakota Democratic Party, from which his illustrious political career was launched. This is the story Wayne and I needed to hear, and it was a story we could relate too. He continued on about his presidential campaign and his relationship with Jack and Bobby Kennedy along with many other fascinating stories that I could have listened to all night. After dinner we walked the senator to the elevator and said goodbye. As the elevator closed McGovern said" lets stay in touch."

Two hours later I was still awake reading his book.

No comments: