Monday, February 20, 2006

Update from Rep. Sheryl Allen

Let me apologize up front if some of you are receiving multiple copies of this email. There appeared to be a glitch this morning when I sent this out and I am not sure who got the email and who didn't. I wanted to err on the side of you all receiving the email...even if twice. Hopefully this will go through without any problems, this time. Cheryl Phipps, Intern to Representative Sheryl Allen)

Well, here we are at the last week and a half of the 2006 General Session. I am sending the weekly update of some of the issues considered by the House in this last week. Also, I have told you that I would send you the statistics garnered from the survey that you participated in before the session began. I also have about 500 comments that I am not including with the data. I appreciate all the input I received from you concerning these issues. I will continue to vote according to the input of my constituency.

Also, I am still seeking input on the governor's tax calculator and the tax reform issues. Some of you emailed me that you were having difficulty with the link. We think one problem is a misunderstanding with the address. The address is gva1.utah.gov/taxestimator. Some have incorrectly entered "gval" instead of "gva1". Be sure that you are using the #1 and not the letter "l".
Governor Huntsman's proposed state tax plan with a flatter 4.9% payment rate is now available for you online to calculate what your state taxes would be with the flatter rate. The web site to do your personal calculation is: http://gva1.utah.gov/taxestimator/.
Please go to the web site and calculate what your income taxes would be under this plan. Then, email your opinion of the site and its ease of use to my intern at cphipps@utah.gov. I would also like to hear your opinion on moving forward with the flatter tax, considering that the Utah Constitution requires that state income taxes be used to fund public and higher education. The flatter tax would mean a reduction of funds in the Uniform School Fund. What do you think of this?
I want to hear from you on these important issues. I need your opinion immediately. Tax and state funding issues will be determined very soon.

Thanks again for all your input in these critical issues and for allowing me the opportunity to represent you. I consider it an honor and great responsibility. Feel free to contact me with any concerns that you may have.

Respectfully,
Representative Sheryl Allen
Legislative District #19

No comments: